Mark

Individual Brief / Final Project
University Year One




The individual brief invlolved creating four deliverables, each with a different propmt, designed to allow us to experiment and develop the skills learnt throughout the year; from basic design skills (grids, hierarchy, colour science) and software skills (Adobe Suite), to more general skillsets such as research and copywrighting.

Insect Copy Poster

One of the deliverables for the module is this copy-based poster made to promote either eating insects or reducing mobile phone usage. I spent time revising mine and my teams’ previous research on entomophagy, and iterating lines of copy with their implications to decide on the short ‘critters are fitter’. This poster involved a lot of experimentation within Adobe InDesign, a trend that I kept up in the choice of material for the piece when working with tracing paper.

Community Flyer

The A5 community flyer had us select and research a community to promote using either copy-based or image-based techniques. As with the Insect Copy Poster, I chose to use a typographical approach with a catchy line of copy, which appeals to people’s desire to experience, as well as create. The typography focuses on reinforcing the copy and tries to represent the community’s power to create interesting content.

Font Poster

Selecting from a list of typefaces, I gave myself the hard task of promoting the qualities of the Comic Sans MS fonts in a poster format, meaning the project research had to be further researching and more detailed so that I could find marketable qualities.
The posters are a set of three designed to be displayed in close proximity to each other, so that they take up more space if publicly posted. They use bright but unique primary colours to stand out, and represent the usage of the typeface in teaching & learning environments.

Vinyl Sleeve + Insert

Daphne Oram’s music is the basis for this fictional record design, we initially made marks that represent the music whilst listening to it - trying to find different ways to represent specific sounds, repetition, tone, volume, and other elements of the music. A circular timeline of is used to represent the beat of one of the songs by Oram, using a mark pattern I created in the initial practical session. Continuing my experimentation with different techniques, materials, and process, I decided to create the cover with a die-cut process in mind by creating the quartered design in which each quarter is a different size based on the volume trends over the lengths of Oram’s tracks. The sleeve and insert are made in a minimal way to form a synthesis with the artist’s futuristic for the time sound.


Manchester + Leeds, UK